Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Thirty Mile River: Day 6 of the Yukon River Trip

I washed my hair for the first time in the frigid Yukon waters.  It felt so extraordinary to have clean, soft hair again!

The Thirty Mile River (part of the Yukon River) is a nice change from the lake; I regained some confidence in paddling today. But, it's still difficult to find a place to pull the boat over & stop/find a place to cook or sleep.

Once again, I'm terrified of bears.  I can't shake this obsessive fear of the bears coming to get us while we sleep.  I can't stop scanning the treeline, and if I do, the least little rustle from the wind or some bird sends me into another obsessive scanning session.  I know I'm driving Jake crazy, but I seriously can't stop myself.  We've already had two mornings when we've seen a curious grizzly wander into our boatsite, and one made a 2nd appearance.  Both bears scared off easily, and I am pleased they don't realize just how terrified I am of them.

We got extremely dehydrated the last couple of days and tried to make up for it today--though I'm still very thirsty.  The air is dry, and the wind sucks the moisture out of you, but I'm too scared to drink more now because I don't want to have to pee in the middle of the night (even though it won't be dark...but Jake will be sleeping).


No comments:

Post a Comment